Monday, January 12, 2015

Family Room Reveal


A moment of truth here. As excited as I am to share our first Brown House Project with you all, and as much fun as we are having making this home our own, home ownership is not always pretty pictures and roses. This past week we were hit hard with the "Welcome to Homeownership" curse that everyone had warned us of. During the last seven days we experienced a flooded basement and a broken furnace. Our furnace going out couldn't have come at a worse time since we were experiencing zero degree temperatures and negative wind chills. Let's just say I am very happy to be writing this post in a 70 degree house rather than an a 50 degree one!

Now onto the fun part! Today marks six months of being in our home, so I thought it would be fun to share our first room makeover with you all today. When we first came to look at this house, Dan had a really difficult time seeing us living here simply because the style of the home was so different than ours. If you cannot tell from the pictures, we purchased this home from a sweet old couple in their seventies who moved into this home after downsizing. As you can probably imagine, once we moved in we were very eager to start making the home our own!



(Before images from realtor's website)

The changes in this room were mostly cosmetic. The first thing I wanted to do was lighten the room up. It's amazing what a little (or a lot of) paint and new window treatments will do! We also spray painted all of the hardware and replaced the ceiling fan. This room will always be one of my favorites simply because of it's character. I love the amount of natural light it gets, the arched doorways and the double-sided marble fireplace from the 19th century (which we don't plan on changing anytime soon). I like that we have something original to the room and the color scheme fits perfectly! If you want to check out how I decorated the other side of the fireplace for the holidays, read all about it here. Here is our lighter, brighter and younger version of this sitting room. 


(Pre-furniture)







Horse Print c/o my friend, Sarah Gibson and f2images via giveaway.




Mounting our TV on a brick wall and hiding all the wires in a tiny space was a job in and of itself. So, we decided to get creative and try something new. We are pretty happy with how it turned out!  


Petal Study PrintPencilbox Shop



We recently re-planted our fiddle leaf fig into a bigger pot and I am still looking for a new, bigger basket for it to go in (please ignore).





Gallery Wall ArtSarah Swanson




Hope you enjoyed the room as much as we have. Thanks again for stopping by!

XO,

Jacqueline

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqueline! I'm Alex and I was hoping you could answer a quick question I have about your blog, Elementary Style! I tried emailing you earlier but my email didn't go through for some reason. If you could email me back at Alex.d(at)weddingtonway(dot)com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When winter hits off, the one problem that everyone never wishes to encounter is a broken furnace. It’s possibly the worst time for it. I just hope it has been repaired soon after. And in terms of your house makeover, it looks amazing! Your hard work definitely paid off. Cheers!

    Will Merritt @ Patterson Heating & Air

    ReplyDelete