Thursday, January 9, 2014

Winter Whites






Coat: exact, Piperlime (unavailable), similar, here and here, ScarfASOS, Pumps: exact, Target (unavailable), similar here and here, Tote3.1 Phillip Lim for Target in Taupe 

Thinking back, deciding to start a style blog leading into winter in the mid-west probably wasn't my brightest idea ever. Having said that, I wouldn't have done a thing differently. Why? Winter is hands down my least favorite season and the one I struggle with the most to come up with inspiration for outfits. All winter long I have an ongoing debate with myself...do I want to be warm and cozy or fashionable? However, I am here to tell you it's possible to stay warm yet stylish during the cold winter months. 

I must confess I am guilty of catching the winter blues every year. For me they start January 1st and end when the weather no longer falls belong 78 degrees. I constantly tell my husband that my so called "southern blood" wasn't made for this kind of cold weather. Unfortunately for me, the past week has held record low temperatures in the mid-west. You better believe I was hibernating inside our (somewhat) warm loft for about a week. Although I am not a fan of cold weather, I do think the first snowfall is always the most beautiful and I couldn't help but get out and take some photos in it this year.

It used to be that whites were never aloud after Labor Day. May I also confess that I no longer follow that rule? My younger sister called me earlier this fall and asked if it was alright to wear white pants with a chambray shirt even though Labor Day had come and gone. Apparently her roommates had been giving her a hard time about it, but I reassured her that it indeed was acceptable. If you are going to be brave and rock whites during fall and winter make sure you style them with the right pieces. I'm talking chunky sweaters, scarfs, and chic hats. I love the idea of a totally monochromatic look with a pop of color like the one above. Other go-to neutral colors to pair with white in the wintertime are shades of nude, cognac, and of course, black. And yes, in my opinion, it is perfectly fine to pair whites and creams together. I mean, if you think about it, most brides wear white on their wedding day and many of them carry a bouquet of ivory flowers. No one complains about that do they? So, I challenge you all to take a risk and try this new trend and get creative with the styling. You might be surprised with what you come up with. Best of luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment